Tasmanian photographer Matt Palmer has been judged the 2019 Australian Professional Photographer Of The Year, following the running of the annual Australian Professional Photography Awards (APPAs). Matt – who is based in Geilston Bay near Hobart – is a passionate environmentalist and he won with a powerful portfolio of four landscape images which depict the impact of climate change on the environment.
Organised by the Australian Institute Of Professional Photography (AIPP), the APPAs are the most prestigious – and rigorous – competition for professional photographers, with submitted portfolios judged by panels of Australia’s leading photographers in each of the categories. This year’s competition attracted a total of 1647 entries and, based on point scores, 668 were awarded silvers, 268 were awarded silver distinctions, 107 were awarded a gold and 14 were awarded a gold distinction.
The AIPP’s National President, Melissa Neumann, says the awards process gives members the opportunity to push their skills and be judged by their peers.
“The quality of work at this years’ awards was outstanding,” she commented.
Matt Palmer commented, “To be announced as the 2019 AIPP Australian Professional Photographer Of The Year is an accolade I never thought I could achieve in my lifetime. I have such reverence for it and those that have won it before”.
All the winners in the 2019 AIPP Australian Professional Photography Awards are as follows;
• 2019 AIPP Australian Professional Photographer Of The Year – Matt Palmer
• 2019 AIPP Australian Commercial Photographer Of The Year – Gavin Jowitt
• 2019 Australian Documentary Photographer Of The Year – Mick Porter
• 2019 AIPP Australian Family Photographer Of The Year – Naomi Reiter
• 2019 AIPP Australian Illustrative Photographer Of The Year –
• 2019 AIPP Australian Landscape Photographer Of The Year – Matt Palmer
• 2019 AIPP Australian Nature Photographer Of The Year – Peter Eastway
• 2019 AIPP Australian Newborn Photographer Of The Year – Jodie Andrews
• 2019 AIPP Australian Pet/Animal Photographer Of The Year – Belinda Richards
• 2019 AIPP Australian Portrait Photographer Of The Year – Damien Bowerman
• 2019 AIPP Australian Travel Photographer Of The Year – Andrew McConachy
• 2019 AIPP Australian Wedding Photographer Of The Year – Paul McCall
• 2019 AIPP Australian Creative Photographer Of The Year – Peter Rossi
• 2019 AIPP Australian Alternative Process Photographer of the Year – Trevor Foon
• 2019 AIPP Australian Emerging Photographer Of The Year – Barbara Brown
• 2019 AIPP Australian Student Photographer Of The Year – Scott Dixon
• 2019 AIPP Australian Album Of The Year – Eric Ronald
• 2019 AIPP Australian Photographic Book Of The Year – Mick Porter
• 2019 AIPP Australian Overseas Award – Janyne Fletcher
• 2019 AIPP Highest Scoring Image – Mandarine Montgomery
• 2019 AIPP Epson Signatureworthy Award – Peter Rossi
• 2019 AIPP Australian Tertiary Institution Of The Year – North Metropolitan TAFE
• 2019 Aggregate Grand Master Award – Peter Eastway and Charmaine Heyer
For more information about the Australian Institute Of Photography visit http://www.aipp.com.au