While many are considering ditching home phone lines and living on mobile phone and broadband plans, Telstra is offering a reason to stick with the hard cable, with its new T-Hub 2, a combination home phone and 7-inch Android 2.3 tablet.
The tablet section comes with a docking/charging stand with built-in stereo speakers, and does not suffer the limitations of Telstra’s original T-Hub, which could access only a selection of apps. The T-Hub 2 has a full Android 2.3 OS and can run the full range of compatible apps from Google play (formerly Android Market).
But unlike other tablets, it operates as a DECT cordless phone, allowing use as a telephone handset.
A separate standard phone handset is included in the package as well.
Thus, according to Telstra, the T-Hub 2 allows users to:
· make handsfree calls from the provided tablet or cordless handset;
· update contacts using the touch-screen keyboard and place calls directly;
· see voicemails as a list and jump to favoured messages;
· use a built-in calendar, weather widget and Yellow and White Pages apps;
· watch YouTube or listen to TuneIn internet radio;
· access Android applications and games from Google Play;
· use the ‘T-Share’ application to view and share videos, photos and music between T-Hub, T-Box and DLNA-certified TVs and PCs.
T-Hub 2 requires a BigPond broadband connection and a Telstra full service home phone. It is on sale from today for $360 outright for customers with eligible services, in conjunction with a Telstra T-Bundle (the hardware paid off over 24 months for $15 a month). T-Bundle customers also get unlimited voice calls in Australia from their home phone to up to four Telstra mobile services on their single bill, as well as unlimited local calls on most T-Bundle plans.
T-Hub 2 specifications
• Operating system at launch: Android 2.3.
• Pre-installed applications: Internet radio, email, calendar, calculator, Facebook, Yellow and White Pages, T-Share, TelstraOne for unmetered weather, news and sports.
• Tablet processor and memory: TI OMAP Dual-core 1GHz processor with 1GB of RAM and 2GB of flash memory.
• Voice calling: On PSTN or NBN.
• Tablet screen: 7-inch WSVGA (1024mm x 600mm) screen.
• Cameras: 1.2 megapixel front and 1.9 megapixel rear-facing cameras for video and taking photos.
• Interfaces: micro USB 2.0, micro HDMI®, SD card, 3.5mm stereo audio jack
• Connectivity: DECT, Bluetooth® 2.1 EDR, Wi-Fi b/g/n.
• Standby time: 18 hours for both the tablet and portable handset.
• Manufacturer: Technicolor
For further information, please contact Telstra