The 2017-8 competition is under way!
After the success of the 2015-16 competition, Camera magazine is again searching for Australia’s most talented teenage photographers. If you’re currently aged between 13 and 19, you’re eligible to enter the new 2017-18 competition and show off your camera skills.
This is a great opportunity for young photographers to show off their talents behind the camera and possibly get into print. It’s not hard to put your images online… getting into a magazine is more of a challenge, but a published spread of images could be the toe-in-the-door to a possible career in photography.
Over the next six issues of Camera, we’re giving you the chance to have a portfolio of your images published over a double-page spread in Australia’s leading photography magazine. At the end the competition, we’ll judge all six successful portfolios and crown somebody the Australian Teenage Photographer Of The Year for 2017-18. The overall winner will be presented with the Australian Teenage Photographer Of The Year trophy and a grand prize of camera equipment, details of which will be revealed in the next issue.
We’ll also be showcasing your images here on www.avhub.com.au Your submissions will be evaluated by Camera editor Paul Burrows and professional photographer Bruce Usher.
How To Get Started…
We want you to select your SIX best images. These can be thematic – perhaps from a project you’re working on – or showcase a mixture of subjects and techniques. These images should clearly demonstrate your camera skills… in other words, your eye for a great picture and the ability to visually interpret a subject. As with last year’s comp, we don’t mind a bit of post-camera editing, but anything that’s obviously over-manipulated won’t make the cut. This is all about using the camera to tell a story.
Next, submit JPEG versions of your top six – the file size doesn’t need to be any bigger than 1.0 to 2.0 MB – and you’ll find all the details about how to do this at www.avhub.com.au/teenphotographer We’ll also need some information about you… how you got into photography, what you like to photograph and what motivates you to get out with your camera.
The last publication for submissions will be the May/June 2018 issue of Camera magazine, so the closing date for the competition is 15 April 2018. You may enter all or any round, but you must submit a different portfolio of six images each time.
ENTER BY MAIL: You can enter by sending your images files on DVD or USB drive. Please make sure your DVDs or USB drives are marked with your name and address, and include a self-addressed and postage-paid envelope if you would like your disc or drive returned.
OR ENTER BY EMAIL: Files can be sent directly via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here Are The (Simple) Rules
1. To be eligible to enter the Australian Teenage Photographer Of The Year competition you must be resident in Australia and aged between 13 and 19 as of 31 May 2017..
2. The closing date for final online submissions in 15 April 2018.
3. All submitted images must have been taken in the 12 months prior to you entering the competition.
4. You are permitted to use any type or brand of camera/lens.
5. You are permitted to enter any or all rounds, except that should you win a round, no further submissions are allowed. Each submission must feature a different set of six images.
6. Copyright remains with the photographer, but we retain the right to publish any submitted image in association with publicity or promotion of the Australian Teenage Photographer Of The Year competition.
7. Competition open to Australian residents only, aged between 13 and 19 as of 31 May 2017. Opens 00:01 AEST 30/5/17 and closes 23:59 AEST 15/4/18. You will be eligible by submitting a set of 6 photographs taken in the last 12 months. 1 lucky winner will receivethe title of Australian Teenage Photographer Of The Year and a prize of type and value to be announced in an upcomnig issue of Camera magazine. Entries will be judged by the Camera editorial team on 21/04/16. This is a game of skill. The most creative photo set will win. The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of the prize (from 21/04/18). The Promoter is nextmedia Pty Ltd 207 Pacific Hwy, St Leonards, NSW 2065. For full terms and conditions visit www.avhub.com.au.